Scared about starting uni? 🙈Blogtober day 17 🍃
Hope you're all okay 🙈
Starting university is what I would like to describe as.. scary! I will be honest, I did not know what to expect, although I went to college as the university I'm studying at it is complete different to what I'm used to. So leaving college was great, although my friends all moved on to different places, well most of my close friends did, I was sad to leave them but knowing just around the corner was new and exciting opportunity was great!😅
So the first day of uni was what I like call.. awkward. Well not as awkward for me than it was for other people, I'm lucky that I know my way around the campus unlike the rest of the freshers. So I find my new uni room and met some of the people in my block..well that was awkward.. I'm not the best at meeting new people. So I've unpacked all my stuff and started to settle in.. then my mum leaves and I start to watch tv.. the whole block was quiet.. basically all night.. thats fine with me🙌🏼
The next day is our introduction to our course, previously to this I meet a few people who was on my course, one of them happened to be in my block which was great! First day = boring and awkward! Apart from this uni was great! A few weeks passed and I had meet loads of new friends! loads of nights out, takeaway and drunken walks back from the taxi..Great! Now I've really settled in to uni, although I was scared when I first started now everything is fine and I look back and wonder why I was scared! Although lets be honest.. university is stressful! I did move blocks half away through the year as I didn't really get one with the people in my block after a few months and after I moved it was great again! I will say that moving away and drinking all the time had a really horrible effect on my relationship with my partner and some of my friends, I am glad I am living back at home now! 😱 What you've got to remember is that everyone is in the same boat.. everyone will be stressed, home sick or drunk but here are the top 5 things you should know about before going to uni;
- Plan ahead; I was lucky that I knew the place of which I was studying at, I knew where everything was, but if you don't then do a bit of research into the uni and the surrounding areas.. Is there transport into town? Supermarket near by? Club and bars near by?
- Save money; Being a student is hard, money is tight but there are a few ways in which to save money. Most places do student discount so ask! You might be required to provide your student ID or a NUS card, you do have to pay for the NUS card but you get great discounts in most high street shops!
- Don't sleep through lectures; Yes we have all done it, slept though an alarm or a lesson but going to uni takes it too a whole new level, I've slept through more than one lecture since I've been at uni but try not to get into bad habits earlier, because once you start you can't stop! If you need help ask one of your friends to knock on your door before your lecture to make sure your awake.. its worked for me.
- Enjoy freshers week; Your student union (SU) will most likely be up and running for the first two weeks of uni, they will provided many nights out and activities to help you make friends and basically to get rather drunk which is great right? Remember to always take an extra £5/£10 out with you on a night out just incase you need to get a taxi home or your friend has lost there money.. trust me it happens!
- Enjoy it!; University is great! you'll make loads of new friends, and don't forget it normal to feel home sick, but everyone is most likely to feel the same, so you're not on your own! There will always be someone to talk to if you get home sick and just remember you're there to have fun but also to learn!